LanciaInfo Blog

see www.lanciainfo.com

Oldest Lancias

leave a comment »

Theta on the left, smaller Lambda on the right.


Recently been learning about the pre-Lambda Lancias. Several friends have been patiently helping , most notably Roland Grazebrook in England, who has been involved with the early cars for over 30 years.

A recent visit to England/Wales involved a ride in a 1917 Theta, learning about the early Lancia-designed and made carburetors, and seeing likely the only Zeta engine in existence, the leftover of this most unusual car made c. 1912.

Also to be unravelled is the story of the SGV cars. There are a couple in a museum outside of Philadelphia (any volunteers for a photo trip?). Made of Lancia components, c. 1910-12, but marketed in the US, their story is still a bit unclear, but they are an early example of Lancia’s expansive outlook, outside of Italy. In fact, that story involves not only early distribution in the US (from 1908) but the likely publication the first Lancia road test in England in 1907, just as the company began making cars. Lancia was fully interested in the international markets from the very beginning.

For now, work is focusing on identifying the development path for these early cars, the aero engines, and extensive patent work, all which lead up to the Lambda breakthrough in 1922. Its a story full of many twists and turns, but when seen all together, reveals a mind exploring in several directions in a very short time. The amount of innovation and exploration at Lancia (from 1907-1915) makes the head spin. Its sets the tone for the company, and makes the constant changes in the 1950s simply a part of this ongoing family story.

visiting Ron Francis’s farm in Wales in style.

So please bear with this dive into early history. Long term plans are to integrate this with a larger overview of the developments in Lancia engineering over their first 60 years.

Written by Geoff

April 8, 2018 at 11:49 am

Posted in Uncategorized

1967 Technical Presentation

leave a comment »

In 1967 – Lancia participated in the 17th Salone della Tecnica, showing off bits of Flavias and Fulvia, castings and fabrications, all on top of a funky grid of steel or alum girders with big image displays in the background. Gives one a sense of the times….

from Lancia Rivista 22/23, fall of 1967.

 

Written by Geoff

March 18, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Lancia 1Z

leave a comment »

early 1Z, three guns, photo from 1918

One of Lancia’s early military vehicles was the 1Z Autoblinda. Its history has been somewhat obscure. What was it, when was it made, and what was unique about it? Its seems the Autoblinda 1Z was based on the Lancia 1Z truck,  c. 1915. It had a Theta engine and chassis, bodied by Ansaldo in Genova. Its never been clear how many were made, but a visit to Wiki (France) gives a lot of information, with the following information translated largely from their site. It says that the 1Z was used into the late 1930s, and there is a picture on the web of one as 1943. For what its worth, the information looks good, and might even be true. So here we go…..

1Z in WWI – Battle of Vittorio Veneto

______________

History

After the Italian-Turkish war of 1910, during the short period of neutrality before the outbreak of the First World War, in 1914 Regio Esercito commissioned Ansaldo to study an armored vehicle, a major novelty in the the time when the infantrymen were still attacking enemy troops with only one rifle in their hands. The engineer Guido Corni, an expert in mechanics and metallurgy at Ansaldo, presented a project based on the chassis of the Lancia 35 HP (ed. note: the Theta was a 35HP chassis) as the basis for the truck “1Z”.

Prototype

The Ansaldo Lancia 1Z prototype, consisting of two superimposed turrets armed with “Maxim 1906” 6.8 mm machine guns, was presented to the Italian military authorities on April 17, 1915. After conclusive tests on May 7, the Regio Esercito – King’s Army from Italy – placed an order of 20, which differs slightly from the prototype at the bonnet. The originality of this vehicle lay in its two superimposed turrets, which can turn in a single block or separately. The lower turret or dome had two machine guns and the upper one the third.

1Z in WWI – Battle of Vittorio Veneto, note the two gun turret

Production

The first Lancia 1Z armored car was delivered to General Cadorna in August 1915 in Udine, the remaining 19 following in the spring of 1916. Three squadrons of these armored carriages were formally established in July 1916. The judgments issued at the time were positive about motorization and protection, but regretted difficulties to back down (reverse?). The vehicle also seemed heavy and cumbersome. This defect was solved later with Fiat 611 model. A second batch of 17 units was ordered in March 1917, differentiated by replacing the front wheel shielding by simple mudguards and the addition of a front radiator protection. This order brought to 37 the number of copies of the first series delivered in 1917.

At Les Portes de Màlaga c. 1937

The version Lancia 1ZM

After the initial period of real use on the front, Italy already having entered the war in 1915, the vehicle appeared to be too unbalanced because of its height. It is then decided to have only one turret and to place the 3rd machine gun at the bow of the vehicle. This is how the second series of the Lancia armored car was developed, and some gave it the name of 1ZM. In order to improve its firepower, it was also decided to replace Maxim’s 6.8mm machine guns with St Etienne 907F 8mm machine guns. This choice was particularly unfortunate, the French weapons having a tendency to jam, which could only create problems. Moreover, they could not work when the vehicle was moving, and were quickly replaced by Fiat-Revelli M 1914, much more reliable.

(From another Wiki site, we have more information on the second series:
The Lancia 1ZM was the second batch of Ansaldo-Lancia armoured cars built. 110 cars of the improved model were ordered in 1917 and all were delivered before the end of 1918. Sometimes difficult to identify from the original Lancia 1Z (“Model 1916”), the most obvious difference is the removal of the top machine gun turret. This left the 1ZM with just the one larger, twin machine gun turret. Other features that will help are that the first 1ZM’s usually have two spare tyres mounted on the right side of the vehicle (on the 1Z they were under the rear). The cooling vents and front armour of the engine compartment are slightly different and there are fewer vision ports in the armoured crew compartment. The front bumpers were also simplified. However, some of the original 1Z series were modified to initial 1ZM standard by the removal of the extra top turret and up-dating the chassis. This makes it possible to find photos of 1ZM armoured cars with both 1Z and 1ZM features. American troops on the Italian Front during World War I trained with and used some of these vehicles.” )

Returning to the French Wiki:

35 “Lancia 1Z” of the third series, were first ordered in November 1917, but then increased to 100 copies in January 1918. This version had only one turret armed with two 8mm machine guns. The third weapon fired through a rectangular opening at the rear. A total of 113 copies of the “Lancia 1ZM” 3rd series model were produced. During the 1920s, the Lancia 1Z machine guns were all replaced by Fiat mod.14 of 6.5mm. In 1935, the replacement of the original wheels with wheels with low pressure tires began for the colonial models.

from German army files, 1Z in 1943

The version Lancia 1Z colonial

The Fiat-Revelli M 1914 machine guns had water cooling, which was a problem in the hot desert regions. For this reason, all the armored carriages for the Italian colonies of East Africa were equipped with air-cooled 8mm Fiat-Revelli M 1935 machine guns. The copy given to Afghanistan was equipped with air-cooled SIAM 1918 light machine guns.

Technical sheet

  • Length: 5.40 m
  • Width: 1.80 m
  • Height: 2.40 m
  • Engine: Lancia 1Z, 4 cylinders of 4 960 cm³, developing 60 hp
  • Mass: 5.4 tons
  • Crew: 6
  • Maximum speed: 70 km / h on the road
  • Autonomy: 200 km
  • Protection: 6.5 mm
  • Weaponry: three Fiat mod.14 6.5 mm machine guns (15,000 rounds)
  • Note: A special version was made to order for the Austrian army with Schwarzelose machine guns, the exact number unknown.
    ______________

So…. if the articles are to be believed, we have the following production numbers for a total of 260 examples:

  • 20 of the first series  1915-1916
  • 17 of the first series 1917
  • 110 of the second series, 1917-1918
  • 113 third series, 1918

Written by Geoff

February 11, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Lancia bits in Padova

with one comment

typical well done Padova display – any gasket you want…

A recent visit to the Fiera in Padova extends the Lancia knowledge yet further. There were several things of interest:

  • FCA Heritage had a restored Aprilia at their site – nice!
  • There was a wonderful pair of Flaminias at the Zagato stand
  • Nice to see an Aprilia engine and parts for sale.
  • Was able to discuss Ardea details (s.1-s.4) with members of the Ardea registry, who know their stuff.
  • A new Stratos chassis being remade in Prague.
  • On guy making new 1.6 Fulvia engines, with stock performance on a new block. The work was magnificent.

Lots to see!

promotional model of an Aurelia – sold in the first day, not cheap!

Aprilia motor for sale. That head is very heavy, about 30 lbs.!

Very interesting motor mount for Aprilia, also for Artena and Ardea. Works in two different ways, per the 1932 Lancia patent. Brilliant!

The Appia Registry staged a barn find – only true one in the show!

very pretty Super Sport at the Zagato stand

Stratos chassis from Prague. The saleswoman was quite well informed – a very impressive display overall, with three different chassis and complete specs.

Ardea s.4 block – the latter ones had drop in liners.

One of the many stands – but this one was for Lancia folks. Note the Nardi repro kits, including the one for an Aprilia!

FCA Heritage stand with both a restored and unrestored Aprilia – nice!

Top end of a Fulvia 1.6 engine – built to stock performance levels on a new block. Well done, lovely!

Written by Geoff

November 4, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Vintage cars at Lime Rock, Connecticut

leave a comment »

Santo Spadaro’s racing Fulvia on the right, passed by a racing Maserati.

Labor Day weekend is Vintage Festival at Lime Rock, Connecticut. Its an old track, tucked into the NW corner of Connecticut, just few hours from New York and Boston. I first visited about 35 years ago while in graduate school in Boston. Its been a long time favorite, with all kinds of cars coming out of the garages of the northeast and New York areas. This year only a brief visit, but got to say hello to Santo Spadaro and his brother (from NY), the Kristicks (racing their Fulvia Sport), and the Steermans. There was also an 8C Alfa and a D24, and some other  significant Italian machinery.

Aston, Jag and Ferrari in the pits

rare Ferrari. Not sure what this is – 275 P?

two gorgeous Alfas, SSZ and TZ1

Frank Spadaro’s 1.6 and a Fanalone for sale…

up close with a D24

D24 curvaceous front

two 8Cs and a D24 in the background

Lovely MG Arnolt with special Italian body in the parking area

 

 

Written by Geoff

September 6, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Rally video – Stratos, Delta S4, 037

leave a comment »

Chris Harris, a British motoring journalist, spent an afternoon north of San Remo, at a Pirelli event introducing their Pirelli P7 Rally Corsa Classic tires. There he went out in a Stratos, Delta S4 and an 037 Lancia, and with Markku Alen as well. All were totally amazing. This is a wonderful rally video, especially because it shows  our beloved Lancias at a reasonably intense clip, and is quite accessible and tangible.

Written by Geoff

August 24, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Borgeson, Lincolns, and friendship

leave a comment »

Car friends are good friends. Most are loyal, they share similar interests, which is not so much the cars themselves, but for the insights gained. Our fondness for complicated industrial products that move and make noise allows us to see the world and find treasures in ways and places we wouldn’t normally look. And surprises happen.

Many years ago, the famed historian Griff Borgeson wrote of his student years in the Bay area and of a very special set of friends he had at the time. Its one of my favorite pieces, and for those of you published Thoroughbred and Classic Cars in 1979.

Purebred Lincolns

Griff Borgeson inspecting FWD Miller in NYC upon its return from France.

 

Written by Geoff

July 25, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

It doesn’t get any….

with one comment

…. better or worse.

Not sure, but it sure is funny:

Elsa Martinelli and a 1.2 HF

The things they threw out windows, anything to beat Porsche.

Written by Geoff

July 21, 2017 at 1:09 am

Posted in Uncategorized

new life for the Appia

with one comment

Recent improvement on the Appia – Gianni (mechanic and friend at Autosprint in Chicago) checked the compression and this 58 year old motor still had 140psi in all the cylinders. So with that in mind, he took the carb apart, and started measuring the jets. Found them reduced in size from years of crud so he bore them out to the correct original size. Sounds simple enough – but oh, what a change.

The car has new life. What used to be calm…. put your foot to the floor.. and wait, has now changed. There is (if 43hp can count for HP) power now, and the car has a nimbleness and a little bit of oomph. Its a whole new car, absolutely delightful. Passing folks at highway speeds,  up to an indicated 85 without even trying hard.

Moral of the story: keep looking. Horses are there to be found.

Written by Geoff

July 9, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

D25 in motion

leave a comment »

 

Recently released from FCA is this video on the D25 and one of Ascari’s family members.

The D25 is not well known – it was a V6 Lancia sports racing car designed in 1954 to  improve on the already successful D24. Made in 1954 around the desires of Ascari and Gianni Lancia, the car was shelved when Ascari died in 1955, and the racing program closed. Its 3,750cc DOHC V6 featured two distributors and 305hp. The car has rarely (if ever) been seen or heard in motion. But what a wonderful car….

Notice the radiator top hoses going through the front chassis tube. They just couldn’t stop themselves….

Written by Geoff

June 29, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Posted in Uncategorized